Wednesday 14 November 2012

Thunderstorms: Fear and Hope


 

ﺒﺴﻤ ﺎﷲ ﻠﺮﺤﻤﻦ ﻠﺮﺤﻳﻤ

Living in Cape Town, it is seldom that we experience thunder and lightning along with our rain. Usually we get rain off the sea (mostly in winter), which is constant and prolonged, soaking gently into the ground – sometimes a little more harder when it is a stormy day, flooding the low areas. Despite Cape Town living up to its one nickname, “The Cape of Storms”, the storms don’t usually come violently, bringing electric bolts and loud rumbles – just a fierce gale. But for five to ten days a year, that changes and the thunderstorms reach us – like two nights ago, when, during a storm, I lay curled up behind my rather amused husband who was sitting at the window, looking out at the lightning! J

Further upcountry in South Africa’s central highlands, the thunderstorms are merciless and frequent in summer. When I went to stay at a convent there for four months at the end of 2010, I was quite traumatized by the violence of the storms. With lightning that cracks and blinds, thunder that explodes like a bomb and goes off like cannons and fireworks, and rain (and hail) that threatens to make dents in the roof, I was unprepared for what I experienced. My whole life I have suffered from a phobia of thunderstorms, so each time I was faced with one (three days a week at times), I was convinced the Day of Qiyaamah had arrived! I prayed, repented, and waited to die, curled up in a tight ball under the blankets. (Luckily Allah let me live longer so I could embrace Islam, which is what I did one month after I left the convent. Alhamdulillah!)

Back in Cape Town, the thunderstorms when they do come, are quite tame compared to upcountry. Nevertheless, I continue to feel such dread and fear when they occur, keeping myself curled up on my bed, my gaze averted from the closed and curtained window.

Nowadays, as a Muslim, I keep on recalling how the Qur’an puts it:
“It is He Who does show you the lightning, by way both of fear and of hope…”  (Sura Ra’d 13:12)

Lightning is a sign containing both fear and hope. Fear, because it poses dangers – and hope, because it heralds the rain. Only, in Cape Town, it rains a lot without lightning. Lots of hope and little fear. Sometimes I like to think that that is why Cape Town was given another of its nicknames, “The Cape of Good Hope!” J

Jokes aside, it is so true that thunderstorms can be a sign of both fear and hope. Personally, I see thunderstorms as symbolizing Imaan – suspended between hope and fear. Hope for Allah’s Mercy – and fear for His Judgment. Thunderstorms can be a profound reminder that Allah is in charge, that we are mere mortals who need Him, and that He is more awesome than anything one can ever imagine. Even in my intense fear, when I hear the thunder, it makes me feel a strange excitement in which I want to cry out “ALLAHU AKBAR!!! SUBHAN’ALLAH!!!” and fall down in awe. How wonderful it is to feel awe for Him! It is what our hearts are made for.

“… thunder repeats His praises, and so do the angels, with awe...” (Sura Ra’d 13:13)

Salaam
Saadiqah
(*

No comments:

Post a Comment